Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Fair Fax, VA

Wife noticed that the trees got darker as we descended from the Blue Ridge. Up high, it's still cold and the foliage is still developing. Down here, it is the middle of summer.

I followed I-81 after charging up Tesla in Wytheville. Then I hit Shenandoah Skyline Drive by cutting off to US-33 to Elkton. Wife, hungry and cranky, complained that it is same as the Blue Ridge park way. It turned out, she was right. It is indeed Blue Ridge park way. It only changes the name to Skyline drive after it crosses I-64. And you have to pay $25 to get into it, unlike Blue Ridge or Smokey National Park. Maybe because the view looking down the Shenandoah valley were more spectacular. We bought the annual pass in Grand Canyon, so we didn't pay.








We exited Shenanoah national park at Luray on the way to Strasburg to charge up Tesla. The last time I was in Luray was almost four decades ago with my sister and her husband. We must've driven either on I-81 or Skyline drive to there to see the cavern. I no longer remember other than the fact that we were there.

Fair Fax, an hour drive from Strasburg, is 25 mile away from DC. Not such a convenient location. But it's relatively cheap and we are not going into DC this evening. We'll change up the lodge tomorrow after touring DC.

The post-exertional sickness continued this morning and I struggled to pack. By the time we got to Wytheville, I perked up a little though. It's as if getting back on the road turned me back on. Probably a coincidence. It's been over 4 days and it was time to recover anyway. But I still can't preclude the possibility of the excitement of being back on the road after 5 days had any effect.  This is similar how I recovered from the over-training syndrome when I was on the road to Crater National Park in 2007. I suffered fatigue and weakness for weeks leading to the trip planned before I got sick. I was lying on the parking lot while the troops were getting act together to leave. Then a couple hours into the trip I recovered.  For now, they are all circumstantial and I'll just have to treat them as anecdotes till proven otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment