Saturday, May 22, 2021

Aftermath of Hobodom Trial

It's been a gradual descent to post-exertional struggle over a week period. Sure, I naturally felt pretty fatigued the day after coming back on 5/14. I hiked total of 10 miles and climbed over 2000 feet after all. But I was in a good mood and it was no different than any post-exercise fatigue for a healthy person. I still had my hope up that I'd recover in a few days like a healthy person would. Instead, I started my descent when the happy chemical wore out after a few days and now only the debilitating fatigue and nasty ache remain. Night time is the worst as usual.

Just what was I thinking, doing 5 mile 2000 feet gain hike? It was the same kind of optimism that had me do 5.9 mile, 800 feet gain hike on Angel Island back in 2019 and pay the price for 2 months. Will it last another 2 months? Let's hope not. Next week I'm going on the second trial no matter what, and I'll predict that going back on the road will lift me out of this PEM struggle. That has happened many times before and this is an opportunity for experiment. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment