Friday, May 14, 2021

Waterfalls Day

 This is the day 4 in this hobodom trial. 

Day 3 was spent driving out to Algoma campground to check it out and then rolling around the camp. It was a rather pleasant day, actually. It was actually cold at Castle Lake, but breezy and pleasant at the sun-drenched campsite.

I drove by here yesterday on the way to Algoma. It was over a mile on dirt road from the highway 89 to get to the Upper McCloud Fall, so I didn't bother to go in. The trail map had the hike starting from the Upper Fall, but the track from the lower to upper is in the direction of driving. It turned out that the road to Lower Fall is paved too, unlike the one to the upper one. No complaint from me.

It was a hike for the total of 4 miles. Mostly flat along the river, though there were some climbing in the middle. This is the kind of hike that is within my CFS limit of 4 miles and 600 feet gain. I was done before noon. I was hungry -- I only had serial for breakfast -- and I was going to plug in and cook. But there was no good place; the picnic tables were far away from parking. I could've used the flat rock on the roadside as the countertop, but it seemed too much trouble. I just ate leftover bread and moved on.

Burney State Park was the next on the route. You've seen pictures, it's the 8th wonder of the world according to Theodore Roosevelt. He might have exaggerated a bit. It didn't look as grand in person as it did in some pictures. A nice fall nonetheless, with cool water spray all over you as you near the fall. Some picture taking and then the loop trail good for one mile, and I was done.














A charging stop in Red Bluff and late lunch at the Asian take-out in the complex while charging. Then I was home by 4PM.


No comments:

Post a Comment