Tuesday, June 26, 2018

False Recovery, Again?

Last Friday, I meandered through the Grid all the way up to H Street. It was 100F weather and I felt like keep walking. I logged 3 miles in 3 hours at the end of the day.

Two days later, I biked 4.3 miles. I went to the Tower Bridge, napped for a while and then worked on my computer for an hour. Then off to my wife's work in downtown to keep her company. Business was slow and she was bored. I had a cold drink, left my phone with her so that she could surf the Net, and came back. It was a super slow biking practically at a walking speed, putting the pressure on the pedal only occasionally.

I had trouble sleeping on both days despite all that walking/biking, just like in the summer of 2016. I woke up in the dawn after 5 hours sleep and I was wide awake. Still, I was functioning fine the next days.

Yesterday I went to a local bike shop and tested a bike for half a mile. I did pedal most of the way and I pooped out by the time afternoon rolled in today. Pedaling half a mile puts a lot more stress on my body than rolling at half the speed for 4.3 miles apparently. That's the proof that I'm still a way off from the recovery.

It's an improvement nonetheless. I remember biking 7km back in 2011 and crashing for a week.  That was an easier ride too: the trail along Han-gang river had no stop signs and I took more breaks along the way. I sold the bike shortly after that and never rode till now. But chances are, this improvement will also fade by the autumn just like the last one. I'll enjoy it while it last.


No comments:

Post a Comment