Monday, July 8, 2019

Sentinel Dome and Taft Point

This one was worth 4 miles, and 20,000 steps total for the day. It's the most I've ever done since 2008 and it handily beat 16,000 steps I did in NYC in 2017.


I wasn't ambitious enough to the 5.5 mile loop. I was going to go as far as Roosevelt Point and back, then I realized I could do both Sentinel and Taft for the same distance. All I had to do was come back to the trail head and then head in the other direction. If I didn't feel up to it after Sentinel Dome, I could call it quit and my car would be right there too. I didn't quit. I probably could've done the loop the way I felt at the end of it.



I planned to take a 10 minute rest every 1000 steps. Going up to Sentinel Dome, I did. Then it became 10 minutes every half a mile from Sentinel Dome to Taft Point. Same thing on the way back up from Taft Point. It was getting past 6 PM and I only took only one break for the last 1 mile.


Strange thing's been happening this summer. Whenever I overdo, I have difficulty sleeping. It's similar to the sudden wakefulness that happened back in 2016, except that it is now happening after heavy exercises. It happened about 4 times and it was the same this time: I only slept 6 hours and I was ready to get up this morning. And there was no fatigue of sickness variety; only the exercise fatigue, and some dizziness, that you'd expect if you were healthy. It's as if I am recovered.

Except that I'm not. In between these exercise induced wakefulness, I fall back to the CFS state struggling with 6000 steps and then sleeping like a baby. I could play Jesus and try to walk on the water by keep over-exercising before I fall into the CFS state and wallow. I tried that, and it didn't work. My brain may be awake, but I was constantly in the exercise-recovery mode that I wasn't functioning, neither physically nor mentally. I was more like a zombie. Then, my ability tailed off after 2 long walks in 3 days, making me further useless. So I limited the over-exercise to a day or two a week.

Tomorrow I will poop out and get back to sleepy state, I'm sure. I'll rest one more day, get some work done -- I'm still working on deriving the fatigue measure from Fitbit intraday data so that I can wrap up my project -- and then go for 2 mile walk on Wednesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment