Sunday, September 29, 2019

Angel Island Aftermath

I seriously regret doing the Angel Island hike. It's been almost 4 weeks and I'm still struggling. The night time is the worst: I sleep in semi-delirium with quaking ache and fatigue as if suffering from an acute vial infection. Then, when I get up, it's one-day-up-one-day-down pattern. One day I vegitate and I feel a bit better the next; then I do little something, and the next day I crap out again. It's a struggle and I'm again sick and tired of being sick and tired.

It was pretty warm last Wednesday. The Indian Summer must've arrive early and the temperature went up to 100F in Sacramento. I woke up feeling shitty again, and when that feverless feverishness did not dissipate, I hopped on the car and drove to SF for the walk across the bridge. Maybe a day trip will end the struggle, like the trip to Banff did for the struggle after 5 mile hike last month, I figured.

It was uncomfortably warm 90F on the Golden Gate Bridge. So much for escaping the Sacramento heat for the cool fog.  I parked by the battery on the west side of the southern end and walked to  the middle of the bridge and then came back. I ended the day with 9000 steps.

Well, that didn't work. My delirious nights and up-and-down days continued. Maybe it takes a multi-day trip to end the struggle.

Just what was I thinking, doing 6 mile 700 ft hike when my limit is 4 mile 600 ft? During the cross-country trip in 2017, I backed off from all hikes longer than 2 miles. The memory of spending months in bed after climbing Telegraph Hill in 2009 still weighed on me then. Now that I can do 4 miles, I didn't back off from any during this year's Banff trip except for the real steep ones. The success of Banff trip -- yes, it was a success despite relatively short 8 days of struggle after I returned -- must've given me a fresh confidence and I slacked off on my vigilance.

This could've been another disaster like the Telegraph Hill. I'll have to double my discipline and stick to my limit of 4 miles/600 ft hiking or 12 miles of biking.



No comments:

Post a Comment