Friday, June 26, 2020

Repeat of "Ordeal"

I've been meaning to do this. The 15 mile bike ride in 2018 was the hardest exercise to date since I got sick in 2008. I not only survived, I was pretty high for the next 2 days. I struggled subsequently, but that's because I climbed up Telegraph Hill on the 3rd day -- I obviously was well enough on the 3rd day too. I wanted to redo it and see if I could repeat the feat.

I woke up feeling shitty and achy again last Thursday June 18th and was thinking where I could travel locally to improve my mood. I had to do something since we can't travel long distance till Covid19 is over. We could go explore Stockton or Davis. We haven't been there yet. Then it occurred to me that I haven't done any long bike ride this year. I was out commission till May of course, thanks to the long crash after the skiing season. Now that I'm out of it, it's about time that I returned to long bike ride. It was a good day for that too -- it's going to be near 100F just like that day in August 2018.

The ride started from REI at 3PM and I got back at 6:30PM. No taking a spill, no blacking out, and no getting lost in the thickets this time. I didn't stop at Paradise Beach either. But I did manage to get lost a few times again and stretch ride to about the same distance.  Still, it definitely was an easier ride than the original one. That I didn't run out of water is the proof.

Resting on Northern Bike Path Bridge


 I was fine the next day (it must've been a post-exercise high). Then the struggle began and it lasted a week.


Obviously, there was no novelty effect from resuming the long bike ride despite the hiatus. It has to be something really new for the novelty effect to kick in, it seems. That means I won't benefit from the novelty effect when I return to skiing next season either. I'll have to stick to monthly skiing, not weekly one, on bunny slopes, as I already planned.

Traveling is different. I do know the novelty effect kicks in whenever I go the NYC despite that I've been there multiple times. It doesn't have to be a completely new place.

I really need this Covid19 thing to be over. I need to travel...

No comments:

Post a Comment