Saturday, April 3, 2021

Skiing #8 and End of Season

 I'm getting tired of struggling for 3-4 days out of a week. I think I'll call it a season and hang up skis. There are enough snow in the mountains though, and I may get tempted to go up again in April. That is a distinctive possibility given my track record.

Skiing #8 went without a hitch. The easy day was colder than I expected though; The forecast called for 50F, but wind kept it chilly. I did the standard 2x8 run mostly on the blue slope and I was done by 2 PM. If this easy skiing didn't avoid PEM, it would truly have to be the end of the season.

And it didn't. The post-skiing struggle lasted for the whole week. This time however, there was no getting tired-but-wired. I slept 7 hours and then take 2 hours nap in the afternoon for 2 days in a row. Maybe the Novelty effect has dried up and nothing is holding up the floor. I'll write about a possible explanation for this phenomenon in a separate post. The final assessment of the season is also coming in a separate post.

On a separate note, my form has improved substantially. I never had a season pass in my 40  years of skiing career until the last year and the season pass made a big difference.  From the Bay Area, it takes 4 hours to get to the mountains and I could ski only on weekends back then, so there wasn't much point getting season tickets. I'll have to again pat myself on the back for moving Sacto. Oh, and skiing alone must've helped too: without the social distraction, you have nothing to do but focus on your skiing.

No comments:

Post a Comment