Saturday, May 14, 2022

Day off at Hannings Flat

I should've brought the fan. I left it out because it's bulky and I never used it the last season. But I could've used it today. The temperature went up to upper 80s and I sat in the shade all day long because tent was too warm. The breeze kicked up at 4 PM and it cooled off a bit. I crawled into tent, napped for about 15 minutes and then came back out to the shade to write.

Then again, I may not need it. I need a fan on my day off at the camp, but I've improved enough that I no longer need to take every other day off. I did 10 miles yesterday and I could've been back on the trail today. Except that I figured I'd take the day off and do photos and blogs. I would've been hiking if I knew it would've been too warm to stay at the camp. Even if I say at the camp, I can stay up all day long. Before, the fan was a necessity because I had to lie down in the tent.

So, my new goal, back to back hiking 2 days in a row, seems within reach. I think I'll give it a try the next 2 days. I'll do about 6 miles tomorrow on Bull's Run Creek and Salmon Falls. Then I'll go right back on trail the day after for Kern River Loop and Brush Creek for the total of 12 miles. If I survive that, then Rae Lake Loop backpacking for 40 miles over 5 days will be the next.

I may have to return to Sacramento in a week. I still need to get my backpack and REI is having sale starting next week. I'm hoping to pick up the new Osprey Atmos 65 at 20% off. If they have Big Agnes tents on sale, I may pick that one up as well and then return MSR Hubba Hubba NX2. MSR is a great tent, but its weight has been, well, weighing on me. It is 0.75 lbs heavier than Big Agnes. That's extra 3 quarter pounders that I'd be carrying. I'm already spending over 4 lbs on the backpack, I need to go light on everything else. 

It's almost full moon at the camp. The moon lit up the earth so bright, I could walk about without any lights. 



No comments:

Post a Comment