Monday, December 4, 2023

40 Mile Bike Ride

Time to test the new set of Conti 5000S TR. Last Monday, I set out with the goal to get to Sunrise Recreation Area along American River. It would've been 45 miles round trip if it went with no hitch. But the construction work on the levy between REI and Guy West Bridge forced me to take a detour and get lost in the city. I ran out of time and had to turn around at Harold Richey Bridge. I skirted the construction on the way back by riding on the other side of the river. There was a construction around Hwy 99 overpass too, but I snuck in through the construction site and made it to Sutter's Landing on the other side. Including the detour, it was about 40 miles in 5 hours total.

I knew I'd be fine the next day. The dopamine from a heavy exercise would last another 24 hours. I slapped on the nicotine patch on the second day to prevent the bottom from falling out. It seems to have worked. I managed for 3 days without crash. But then, I had to pace for the rest of the week because I became more susceptible to PEM. I may have to stay on nicotine/Sudafed for a week following a heavy exercise, not just for a few days.

So, did I avoid crash with nicotine? It may have. But then, I usually manage without crash at the new season of any activity for a few weeks. So I can't tell with this sample of 1. I'll have to repeat a few times in a month or two and see.



No comments:

Post a Comment