Thursday, February 1, 2024

Bike Ride to Guy West Bridge

 I slammed the bike onto the curb a week ago and trashed the new tire that I installed only a month ago. I got the replacement, but I wasn't able to install it because I was in the probationary period after the skiing last Thursday.  I finally installed it on Tuesday and then took it out for the test-drive yesterday. I wanted to make it to Folsom for 40 miles, but the weather didn't cooperate. I decided to make it to Guy West Bridge and back.

I was planning to bike back on the south bank. I knew there was construction going on under Hwy-99, but I was able to sneak through it the last time. This time, however, they had fence around it. I had to backtrack to the bridge and bike back on the north side. That added extra 6 miles. To make the matter worse, it started to rain at noon, earlier than the forecast. I rode through cold rain for over an hour, nonstop at the speed of 12 mph. In all, it turned into 26-mile ride.

Dirt splashed all over my back, all the way up to my helmet. I'll have to install a fender if I'm to bike-pack this summer. I didn't feel the cold while riding, but my feet were numb when I got home and got off the bike. I got out of dirty clothes, grabs a quick lunch and crawled into the bed. I slept like a baby for 3 hours. Then I got up feeling like a million bucks. It's amazing how well a mild hypothermia works as sleeping aid. 

Today, I'm recovering from the ride. I'm fatigued, but it not much worse than regular post-exercise fatigue. I'll probably be under the weather for a week -- it was a strenuous exercise.  When that is over, it'll be the time to hit the slope again. The weather is supposed to turn sunny next Thursday after dumping a foot or two of new snow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment