Sunday, January 29, 2017

Choices That We Make

It seems I now fully  recovered my pre-trip form. I'm not quite back to the shape I was in back in the summer, but  I did manage 8000 steps in a 3 hour jaunt yesterday. I went for a haircut in Sunset, stopped in Mission to buy some fruits and then carried 10 lbs of it  to an open house for rental.

The prices have been going up in leaps and bounds in SF. The cheap haircut that used be $12 is now $15. And drip coffee from Peet's is now over $2, and Philz went up from $3 to $3.50. The Muni fare went up to $2.50 as well. It must be the effect of the rising minimum wage. It is now $13 and scheduled to go up to $14 in 6 months on its way to $15 next year. No complaint though. People in SF can afford it and I'm all for living wage. Not that you can make living in SF with $15/hr wage, but the more the better.

Coming back from Sunset, I just missed the muni train. I was about to turn the corner when the car arrived. I jogged for about 20 meters thinking I might be able to catch it. When I came around the corner, I realized the stop was still another block away. If I was healthy, I could've continued to jog and caught it just fine. But I was risking getting sick for 4 days if I did that. So the choice was between that and waiting for 10 minutes for the next train. I obviously chose the latter. This is the kind of choices that we CFS patients face on daily basis.

Then I woke up this morning with this fantastic fatigue. I used to get the same kind of fatigue the day after I climbed the Mulberry tree in the front yard of my old house in San Jose to prune it. It used be an all day affair. I would cut the branches off with my chainsaw for 30 minutes or so, take a break for a while and repeat. Then haul the debris to the curb for the green waste crew to pick up the next morning. Now I get the same fatigue after just running errands. It is not a post-exertional sickness though. It is a post-exercise fatigue accompanied by happy feeling. I'll have some post-exercise funk tomorrow when the happy chemical dissipates and recover just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment