Saturday, June 18, 2016

Post-Exercise Fatigue

A 2-hour jaunt on Muni to Sunset for a haircut and then to Fillmore for grocery yesterday, and I'm wallowing in post-exercise fatigue of weakness, ache and sleepiness. I'm totally wiped out, in other words. Flush with happy chemical, however. This feels like the morning after a day hike of 10 miles up and down a mountain that I used to do when I was thealthy 8 years ago.

Notice that I said "post-execise fatigue". I'm differentiating the post-exercise fatigue and post-exertional sickness, known officially as post-exertional malaise. Post-exercise fatigue would be just a normal fatigue if I hiked up a mountain. It is an exercise-induced fatigue that I'll recover from in 48 hours just as I used to after a day-hike. Only difference is that I did not hike. It was only Muni rides and total of less than 1km walk on mostly flat terrain.

This post-exercise fatigue will develop into a post-exertional sickness, however, if I exert again within 48 hours. Two weeks ago I took a trip, through Mission this time and then to Castro. After a day of rest, I walked 700m to Philz and back after 30 minutes of rest. I got sick the next day for 3 days, and then struggled for 2 more days. It's a proof that an activity that may not cause problem normally can cause problem when I am weakened by preceding activities. True, it's only anecdotal. And it may not happen every time. But it could under the right circumstance. So it would be a wise policy to avoid it all together.


6/8/2016mission/24th/potrero + castro coffee (1km), cooking+dishes684.95.255
6/9/2016shower, 2x12sec holdups285.15.155
6/10/2016(Golden Gate) philz56.554.94.84.8
6/11/2016dishes+cooking, shower28.554.94.95
6/12/2016Van Ness philz, North Beach open house + chinatown grocery, 1x12sec holdups66.5554.95

That is how my CFS became permanent, by the way. In July 2008, I recovered for 3 weeks from yet another bout with over-training syndrome of 6 weeks. I managed to squeeze in a couple of bike rides and a hiking on Angel Island. Then I went to the judo practice the next day despite feeling tired. I went all out with the boys and next morning I woke up sick. I've been sick since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment