Sunday, September 2, 2018

15 Mile Biking Along American River

I took my left hand off the handle bar for a moment to relieve the fatigue on my triceps. The next thing, I was on the ground. The 25c tires were no match for the gravel no matter how sticky they were, and the bike slipped down the side of the elevated trail. I might have saved myself if my feet were free. But they were bound to the pedal. I went down clean and a chunk of skin on my left elbow and arm were scraped off.


That was soon after I made out of the woods at Paradise beach. It was quite a walk on sand and through the woods to get to the river from the trail. On the way back, I ended up in dead-end trail several times. I braved through the thickets for a while before finally gave up, backtracked and found the way out.

The meandering through the woods and the subsequent fall took quite a bit out of me. By the time I got to the Skate Park on B Street, I was beaten. I had to sit on the side of the road for a while to gather wit. Then the trail was closed shortly after and I had to back-track again and detour via C Street to the Bikeway Bridge. I was getting dizzy and about to black out by then. I had to lie down by the trail. My heart rate was up to 130 and did not show any sign of coming down even after 20 minutes. I got up, picked up the pieces and cross the bridge to the split trail just before the turn toward REI. I lied on the picnic bench there for a while again. The ranger came by to check me out. He made sure that I had enough battery left on my phone, gave me a bottle of water and moved on. REI was right around the corner, so there wasn't much to be concerned.

This was way more than a CFS patient should be able to. If I don't get sick for the next 2 days, I'll declare that I recovered.

Did I say how much I like this bike, btw? It is not only responsive, it is also super comfortable. The D-Fuse carbon seatpost working with cromoly rail and the tubeless tires does wonders for your bottom. My butt was just about the only part intact by the time I was done. I highly recommend Giant Contend SL. SL 2 at $900 would be a steal of the century.



No comments:

Post a Comment