Saturday, September 8, 2018

Not Out of the Woods Yet, #3

After the ordeal was a day of vegetating.  The day after that, I fully recovered and my pace was up to 105 step/min. I did some house duties and then walked at 95 steps/min to Starbucks 2000 steps away.  Then I woke up with the familiar heaviness that goes with post-exertional sickness the next day.  It must've been the pace. Obviously I'm still not out of the woods yet and I'll have to continue to watch my walking speed.

When you are biking on a flat terrain, you are not exerting much. You only exert in spurt when crossing intersections. Walking, on the other hand, is a constant pace activity. Do that at a higher speed, I still suffer.

It would've been nice to rest, but we soldiered on to SF as planned. I needed to swap the stem on my bike -- I'm going with 80 mm for comfort and agility since I'm not planning on riding fast. By the time we were done charging in Fairfield, the fatigue partially dissipated. It was a deja vu of Witherville.

After dropping off wife at Westfield and the bike at the shop, and I went straight for Telegraph Hill. Something I meant to do the last time we were here, but ran out of time then. The steep incline above Broadway was still a challenge and I zig-zaged at 60 steps/min. 20 minute of rest at the top, and I came down Greenwich Steps. I descended like a normal person till Union Street. Then I became a polio victim with knees locked and  hands clutching the rail. I hardly could take another step by the time I got to the Levi Plaza. On F tram, I was looking for an empty seat like I used.

Still, it was a vast improvement. Before, I had to rest several times go up and coming down. This time, it was only one rest at the top. And the weakness dissipated by the time I got back to my car in Castro and I was walking fine again.

I spent the next 3 days in horizontal position, however. The sustained walk down Greenwich steps must've taken a toll and my calves were sore. (DOMS and PEM coincided, more on this later).  Another proof that I'm not out of the woods yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment