Monday, August 12, 2019

Vancouver to Kamloops

What do you look like in the Summer?
A little sunnier in disposition, perhaps.
With the wet clouds gone, the blue glass boxes 
Lining your shoreline and boulevards 
Will shimmer under the sun
And your pale residents
Will come out from your belly 
And clog the trails of Stanley Park 

12 years ago, I wondered what Vancouver would look like in the summer. Now I have an answer. The picture below doesn't show it, but a lot of people were out biking and hiking in Stanley Park. Enough that a cop stopped me to point out that there were so many people on the road and I was driving too fast. Kinda embarrassing, but we had a long way to go and I was in hurry to get out of Vancouver.

Vancouver in Summer


We were skiing in Whistler back then, in the last days of 2007 just before I got sick with CFS. Now I'm here again,  hiking this time. Near Pemburton at the end of sea-to sky highway was a mile long trail to Nairn Falls along bluish grey Seton river. Since I gave up on Stawamus Chief Mountain trail in Squamish -- it was going straight up 1500 feet with lots of stairs -- I had to do this one.

Seton River near Nairns Fall
After Pemberton was the road to Kamloops that deserves a day of touring by itself. The Canadian Route 99 winds through the mountains culminating in Lilooets, a town of river and lakes surrounded by mountain cliffs. We descended on it at night with the moon, almost full, leaking its yellow light on the surrounding clouds. It was surreally beautiful and left me asking "what do you look like in daytime?"  I'm sure I'll be back for it, like I did for Vancouver.

No comments:

Post a Comment