Friday, February 28, 2020

Head Kore 93 Test

Yep, I went up to the mountains last Monday. So much for laying off skiing for a while. That's just me, an impatient self. But I did manage to contain my enthusiasm. There wasn't much to contain, actually. The spark is gone and skiing is now more meditative than exciting. So I did 3 sessions of mostly green slopes and some easy blues and then came back home.  I still struggled afterwards. It's not a total crap out, but a nagging drag with 2 bad days within the mandatory 3 day recovery period.

It's same story over and over again. For a month or so, the novelty of a new activity boosts my exercise tolerance. Then, things go back to normal and I struggle. I'll just have to cut back on skiing for the rest of the season: instead of 3 sessions of greens and blues, make it 2 sessions of mostly greens. That's about half as hard and half as much as skiing #8, the hardest one that took me to crud and moguls. I'll get back to hard skiing at the beginning of the next season after rotating with biking and hiking for the summer.

The Head Kore skis are definitely stiffer and faster than the beginners pair it replaced. It carried enough speed off Christmas Tree slope to the chair, I actually had to break hard to stop. It doesn't have any metal layer, so I expected more flex and less speed than, say, Volkl Mantra M5. No such a thing. The speed may have contributed to the aftermath despite the relatively easy day of skiing.

I'm going back next Monday again. The mountains is supposed to get dusted with snow up to half a foot over the weekend, cross fingers, and I got a new jacket to test. Two, as a matter of fact. I first bought Columbia Cushman which was so comfortable and warm as well as stylish. I tried it at REI and instantly fell in love, even though I was actually looking for a more versatile shell that I can layer and also double as a rain jacket. And one happen to be on sale on Amazon so I bought it. Then I bought Marmot Minimalist jacket, a Gore Tex shell that I was originally looking for. Now I'll have to go back to the mountains to test them out.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete