Sunday, September 12, 2021

I guess I rather be in Colorado

The eastern Colorado past Denver is as flat as Kansas. Cornfield appears as you approach Nebraska. You couldn't be able to tell where Colorado ends and Nebraska begins if it weren't for the marker. It gets a little greener as you move further into Nebraska though. Clouds get squeezed of their moisture as they climb the Rocky mountains and the eastern Colorado gets very little precipitation. It looks like Central Valley as result.

It seemed to all make sense. The sediments from the Wyoming side of Rockies spilled over to Nebraska for eons, creating bluffs in western Nebraska and sand hills in the middle. The bluffs are sedimentary rocks that crumbles into sands and it's only logical to extrapolate from that sandhills were created from the same process that created the bluffs. The truth, however, is that the sand hills were created by winds that blew sands to Central Nebraska from ancient sea. You can see ripples on the Google satellite map. Maybe the Western Nebraska was also a part of the sandhills and then the sediments from the Rockies were deposited on the top of it to create the bluffs.

The cornfield disappears as you enter Sandhills. The sandy soil must be too poor for crops. But the grass grows well on sandhills making it a good grazing land. Most of Sandhills are privately owned ranches. The corn and soy field appears again as you move south toward Platte River. This field will run all the way to Minnesota in the North and Indiana to the East.

I've been in Nebraska for only 2 days, if you don't count the rest break I took in Sidney for a moment. Yet I'm about done with Nebraska. You see the bluff and the Sand hills, and now only the cities remain. And I'll be done with them in a day or two. I'm now just being a regular tourist here, moving from hotel to strange hotel in strange cities.  The driving has been become a drag after Sandhills and I'm not looking forward to more of it.

I miss coming home to my camp after a hard day of hiking. I miss Bryce Canyon, I miss Abajo Mountain, and I miss Black Canyon. I miss the desolate drive through Utah desert, I miss the San Juan Mountains loop, I miss CO-135, and I miss the drive to Buena Vista. Maybe I should head back to the West. I would have a lot more fun hiking over Ruby Mountain to Arkanas river than meandering through these flyover states. RMNP is now getting cold, but it's still warm enough in Buena Vista and Browns Canyon. I could even go to Arizona where it is still hot and do Havasupai. Then I can always fly to the East coast later. But for now I first need to get to Lincoln and have the gimpy tire changed. I'll think about it and then decide after Lincoln.





No comments:

Post a Comment