Friday, September 10, 2021

Sidney NE

 What was that sense of gladness of returning home? It's the camp that I stayed only for 3 days. And it was loud and noxious site with ATVs running up and down all day long. 

I finally got out of that bedbug hell that is Alamosa and returned to Colorado Springs on the way to Sidney NE by finishing the second half of Colorado Springs Loop through Salida, Canon City and Cripple Creek. When I finally got to Divide and the familiar looking buildings came into site, I suddenly felt that sense of relief. It's the road that I on only a few times commuting to/from Colorado Springs and yet somehow it felt like home. I don't get similar feel for motels; there must be something living in tent that makes the habitat home. There is something about putting the stake on the ground making it *your* place. Or it could also be the neighbors. When you are camping, you talk to people. In motels, you don't. Or it could be both.

The Colorado Springs Loop was a spectacular success. The majestic view of Sawatch mountains soaring in front of you above the valley floor at Buena Vista; Drive along Arkansas River along US 50 from Salidas; The harrowing Shelf Drive. It is one of the best driving routes anywhere. I'll put it on the top along San Juan Mountains Loop. OK, maybe the second best after San Juan Loop. It is differently spectacular.














Too bad I can't say same thing about the Great Sand Dunes. It was an unqualified flop. I went mostly to roll in the Medino Creek, but the creek was dry. They said it is seasonal. It runs in the Spring when the snow melts and then dry up by late summer. The sand dunes looked kinda interesting, but hiking on one was not; it was downright boring with each step being the sameness of your foot sliding down the sand. It's was a lot of effort for low dopamine and I found myself wishing I was instead hiking on the Sangre de Cristo mountains that the dunes were nestled in. I walked up High Dune for about 30 minutes and came back down. I spent the total of less than one hour in the park before coming back out. 2 days and $300 spent just for that. It was a nice photo locale though. Beige to white light gradation and lines sure made beautiful pictures. 














Then the bedbug disaster again. This cesspool named Rodeway Inn was a breeding ground for bedugs. I moved to a different room the night before because of the bedbug bite. Then it was biting again and I actually caught on crawling on the pillowcase. I actually showed it to the scumbags running the joint and they again denied having bedbug problem to Priceline and refuse to refund. I got the hell out of there and checked into another motel, only to have the same problem there. I caught the biggest one I've ever seen, call the owner to let him know of the problem,  put the bug in a water cup for him, and left at 5AM. I hardly slept at all that night.

With that forced early start, I figured I'd be in Colorado Springs charging station by noon. But the Shelf Road took quite a bit longer than I expected and I left Colorado Springs at 2PM after lunch at Bird Tree Cafe.  Then a long drive to Sidney through Denver. I kept dozing off. If it weren't for the Autopilot, I might have crashed. When I finally got here, it was 6PM.

Sidney is not a tourist destination on anybody's list. But it has Tesla supercharger, so it is convenient. The original plan called for going to Scott's Bluff, but there is no charging station. Likewise for the Sand Hills Scenic Byway. I'll just have to drive up there then come back down to I-80 corridor to get the Lincoln on the 13th. I got the tire shipping from Tirerack.com and I'm scheduling to change the tire there on the 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment