Thursday, December 15, 2022

Northstar, Skiing #3

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Some parts of the slopes haven't been skied on; the snow was still fresh. The moguls on the heavily skied on portion of Zephir were bigger. But the heavy snow made it slower and therefore more skiable. I stayed on Zephir most of the time, again. 


I managed to postpone the car repair till Wednesday. Then I was on my way back to the mountains on Tuesday. The snowbanks by the road were 6 feet tall, but the roads were fine. One day respite must've been enough to melt whatever's left after the plow shoveled aside to the shoulder. I stopped at Truckee Tesla station, took care of the morning business while refueling, and then I was on the yellow lot like the last time. I carried my backpack with lunch this time, got on the shuttle bus and I was on the slope by 10 AM. 

On the 2nd run, the tip of my skis got caught in a mound and I fell forward. One of the poles got stuck in the snow and impaled my ribcage. I'm not sure if the rib got bruised or broken. I've been in pain since and unable to breathe deeply. It felt a little better yesterday, then I sneezed and got stabbed by a terrible, sharp pain. Now I'm feeling worse.  I hope I'll back in shape to ski again by the time I get my car back. 

The moguls were more difficult, and hence progressively better for practice, than the last time. I was getting my rhythm right, up and down as well as side to side. Maybe this is the year that I finally mastered moguls. I'll have to move on to something else then, perhaps to powder skiing.

The aftermath followed the same as the last time: brief struggle with fatigue and sluggishness in the afternoon, 2 days after. It's more like delayed post-exercise fatigue. If the season progresses like it did last year, this pattern of post-exercise fatigue should continue throughout December, and then turn into post-exertional sickness in January.


No comments:

Post a Comment