Sunday, October 14, 2018

Interval Training

Yesterday was as good a day as any for the interval exercise I've been meaning to try as I improve. I finally got unwired and took a nap for 2 hours in the afternoon. Then it was too late for a walk or ride, so I decided to give 2x100m run a try.

It's something I tried in 2011. Back then I still believed that I might be able to exercise my way out of CFS. So I'd go out to the school behind the apartment building I was staying at in Korea and try 4x100m. I reduced it to 2x100m when that made me sick. It still made me sick, and I gave up on it after a few tries.

This time, I'm up and moving about the day after. But a wave of incredible fatigue and ache completely paralyzed me around 9PM last night, several hours after the run. It must've been the neutrophil storm whipped up to remove the cellular debris from the run. I managed to get up at 11PM and take shower before going to bed for good.

Getting knocked out for a few hours may not be the end of the world. But the after-effect may last several days, as sustained speed/intensity usually do -- it may reduce the exertion tolerance even if I don't get sick and therefore limit my ability. I'll have to see next a few days. For now, not getting sick the day after the run is yet another indicator that I have improved.



No comments:

Post a Comment