Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Speed is Still a Killer

I was doing so well. For 3 days after skiing #7, I was up and running taking care of all ADLs and errands. It seemed that I could walk faster too. So I upped the speed to 93 steps per minute, about as fast as I could walk without straining, rather than throttling to 90, my safe speed. The result? heavy fatigue and ache the next day. And I'm still under the weather 3 days after.

How is it even possible that I can ski intermediate slopes and yet keel over after walking 3% faster for 4 blocks and back? 93 steps per min is still a slow speed, after all. My exercise tolerance must've been reduced from skiing even though I was able to take care of ADLs and errands.

In any event, the "soft landing" seems to have worked. The crash after hard skiing (#6) seems to have been reversed by a soft skiing (#7). I'll try the process again and see if I can repeat the result. The mountains received 2 more feet of snow and the weather will clear up tomorrow. I'll ski the advanced slope, and then go back for a soft one 5 days after.

No comments:

Post a Comment