Monday, January 25, 2021

Skiing #2

 Next week is going to be all snowed out in the mountains, so I had to get up there this week despite that I was just coming out of a 3-day PEM sickness. This time I stuck to the plan of the 3x8 sessions of even mix of green and blue runs. I was getting tired at the end though and the memory of PEM was still fresh. So I cut it short at the end and only did 6 runs.

Still, I had a terrible leg cramp last night.  I screamed for about 30 sec and probably woke up  everybody in the neighborhood. My calf was sore when I woke up and I'm limping. Other than that, I'm feeling fine this morning. But I'm not going to go to walk or anything.  I don't want to trigger another PEM of 3 days; I'll have to give my body enough to recover before walking or biking. Meanwhile I have enough chores. I'll have to shop grocery and do the laundry this weekend. That should be enough exercises.

Update after 3 days:

I made sure that I don't walk for a few days till I full recover, and post-skiing recovery went by fine. This time, the post-exercise fatigue came the next day though. The last time it was 2 days after. 

It was the same thing last season.  After the first skiing, the post-exercise fatigue didn't happen till after 4 days and then the delay gradually dropped in subsequent skiing. The dopamine spike from Novelty Effect must be fading as the season wears on and it definitely is not as strong this year, just as I predicted. Will it go to zero?  I'm betting that it won't. There is something about snow covered white hills that will always stir some excitement and I may be able to continue to ski 3x8 runs on green and blue slopes and not get PEM. As long as I rein in my penchant to overdo and go up steep hills, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment