Saturday, February 6, 2021

Skiing #3

There is such a thing as too much snow, I guess. The squeaky snow made the slopes slow, I had to stay on the blue run most of time. Off to the side of the blue piste was knee-deep fresh powder, perfect for practicing powder skiing. I kneaded it half way down and I think I now have a feel for it.

But I managed to stay out of the black run and made it a standard 3x8 skiing. Still, I struggled for 4 days afterwards. Last year, I didn't struggle till after the skiing #4. The Novelty effect is definitely weaker this year. I'll have to cut it to 2x8 runs from now on. If I keep getting weaker, I'll have to abort the season after the next one. I certainly don't want to spend another 5 months struggling after the season, like I did last year.

So, it's always the same. I move to a new city, I suddenly become able to walk twice as far, and then I'm back down to normal after 3 weeks. Start biking, pedal 12 miles without getting sick, and then no longer able to do that the next season. Now same thing for skiing. I am condemned to seek new, novel things to do for the rest of my life.

Perennial traveling and exploring must be the answer.  You are constantly in a new environment when traveling, so the Novelty Effect does not fade. I've done that for 3 months each way to and from NYC in 2017 and my exercise ability stayed up all the while.

So, I've been contemplating about traveling for a year. Full-time RV living seems to be popular these days, there are thousands YouTube videos about it. The popularity exploded since 2008 housing crisis when a lot of people thrown out of their jobs and their houses resorted to RV living as a way of avoiding paying rent. And, if you think about it, there is no reason for you to be stuck in an immobile house these day and age, especially if you are telecommuting. Whatever you do you can do in an RV boondocked in some BLM land. 

Neither is an issue for me, of course, since I don't work and I don't worry about paying rent. But parking an RV in some desert or city a week at a time, explore and then moving on still is awfully luring idea. It will keep my juice flowing and my exercise ability boosted. And who knows, keeping my brain doused with dopamine may eventually cure my CFS. If not, well, I will still have made something of my down time. Shit happens. Make lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment