Thursday, March 18, 2021

Skiing #7

 Another squeaky snow, another slow slopes. On the first run, the snow grabbed my ski as I leaned to turn and I toppled over. The ski pole hit my thumb in the process and reinjured it.  It's been a series of bad lucks for this thumb. I first injured it some 20 years ago while skiing and it took several years to heal. The range of motion remained shrunken. Then I injured it again 2 years ago by sleeping on it folded under my head. It almost healed and I was about to get back the full use of it. Luckily it appears to be more of a bruise than ligament injury this time.  It's going to take a while nonetheless, before I regain the use of it. Let's just hope that it won't be another 2 years.

The slope slope is the problem with skiing right after it snowed. In Utah or Colorado, it would've been a fluffy "champagne" power. California unfortunately doesn't get light powder too often. Sierra mountains squeeze out moisture from storm clouds from Pacific and clouds dump wet snows. Then the clouds, deprived of its moisture, drop dry powder on Utah and Colorado. That's why California snow is usually wet and heavy. It's great for building snowman, but not so super for ski slopes. The wet snow turned the slopes slow once again, and I stayed on blue and black slopes as such.

But I managed to stick to 2 session of 8 runs each. And the aftermath pattern has been the same as before. I slept fitfully and was wide awake the next day. Then the bottom fell out on the 2nd day. Another struggle on the following day and then I was back on my feet by Tuesday. The recovery from skiing #7 took the mandatory 3 days.

So, the aftermath of skiing #7 wasn't any worse than skiing #6. That means there will be skiing #8. I'll keep at it as long as it takes 3 days or less to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment