Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Triceps and Quadriceps

I did 6 tricep dips last night and woke up this morning with my body burning and ears popping and crackling. I had to swallowed a couple of Sudafed.

Triceps and quadriceps have been the troublemakers in my experience: use them in higher intensity and I end up with a post-exertional sickness. Tricep dips, for example, cause more inflammation even though the load is lighter than equal number of pushups.  I used think that is because they are big muscles and therefore works harder. But pectoral muscles are bigger than triceps. So it must be something else affecting them. Now I'm thinking it is because tricep dips involve larger eccentric elongation that causes more damage.

They also get disproportionately afflicted with aches during the post-exertional sickness. They took a lot of abuse during my judo days and maybe they got more sensitized than other part of the body because of it.

This, again, could be born of my partiality to the hyper-sensitivity theory of CFS. But when personal anecdotes seem to fall in place, it's hard to shake it off. Impulse to weave the observations and telling the story is in our genes. That's probably how mythologies and religions were born. Science is no exception, except for the scientific process that requires any hypothesis to make testable predictions and then prove it by testing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment