Saturday, December 14, 2019

Season Begins

Actually, it began 2 weeks ago at the end of November. An early storm dumped 5 feet of snow in the mountains and Sugar Bowl opened on 11/30. I already squeezed in 2 days of skiing.

The first day went fine. I spent most of time on Nob Hill, the beginners run. It was shorter than Soda Springs' and I got quickly bored. I went on to Christmas Tree, but the run was too long and the lift was too fast. It was a double whammy: you exert more/longer and you get to rest less. I did 2 runs and then came back to Nob Hill. No PEM aftermath afterwards though. It was a typical gradual descent over 3 days: post-exercise high, funk and then crap-out. Then I recovered mostly. More than usual fatigue persisted throughout the week, but I was able to take care of ADL fine.

6 days after the first trip, I went for the second time. I was still under a bit of weather from the first time, but I went on as I planned. Been there, done that -- Nob Hill was no longer fun. By the time I took the morning break, I was tired and ready to pack up and go home. But I went to Christmas Tree after the break and then I came alive. I was having much more fun than the first day there, I ended up doing 11 runs. Then I wrapped up the day with 4 more runs on Nob Hill.

Now I'm paying price for it. The usual 3-day descent is over, but I'm still struggling during the daytime and suffering that quaking ache at night. I hope I won't end up paying the price for 2 months like I did after 6 mile hiking. I was planning to go back up to Sugar Bowl on Monday, but I may have to postpone it depending on how I feel tomorrow.  Skiing every week seems out of question for now unless I stay away from intermediate slopes.

Meanwhile, the used pair of skis that I picked up on Craigslist for $40 is working out well. I originally leased the package for the season from Clark's Snow Sports for $189. It came with a shitty pair that retailed for $100 brand-new. I returned it after the first day and applied the refund to the purchase of Nordica Cruise 70 boots, a light and super comfortable beginners boots.  Paired with old Dynastar Outland skis, they are just what I needed till I fully recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment