Thursday, June 17, 2021

Illinois Crossing, South Yuba River

The biggest enemy of hobos is the sun. The heat it generates, to be more precise. When cold, you can bundle up or turn on the heat. When hot, however, you have no choice other than to look for a shelter in cool shade or air-conditioned building. Often neither of which is available. I could stay in the car and turn on the air conditioner, but there is only so much you can do in a car. You could sit in the front and do some work. Or you could climb in the back and lie down. Either way, it's not exactly a spacious living even for the hobo's standard.

This was supposed to be my day off. But I could feel the air getting stuffy by 11AM and I decided to stroll down to the river to escape the heat. It looked to be about a mile total on Google map. But it turned out to be a mile one way, not exactly a stroll. Add all the ups and downs, the elevation change was about 400 feet too. Yes it was within my limit, but I was tired from the activities the day before: packing, loading, driving, shooting and climb down at Edward's crossing. Add to that wading through the water to cross the river a few times, it became a full day. It sure was cool in the shade by the river though.

The South side of the river was not only shaded, it had a secluded white sand beach. I first spent a couple of hours in the shade and then went out to explore. I waded the water in all directions then came across this secluded beach, maybe a 100 yard up the river from Illinois Crossing. I had the river and the beach all by myself. Something I've done before in the Great Barrier Reef some 30 years ago. I'm sure I'll come back here. I rolled around there for a couple more hours and then headed back to the camp at 4PM. 



No comments:

Post a Comment