Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Monkey Rock Trail, Incline Village

I was all set to embark on the second trial of hobodom. Then my sister called and said they'll be in Reno this week. I figured I would go up there to see them and then continue on the South Yuba river for the camping. But I left out my Instant Pot, chair and, most of all, charger for my computer. I won't have anything to do during off-days and evenings without the computer. I didn't have my fridge either - I returned two previous ones for defects and Amazon failed to deliver the new one in time. So I'm instead spending this week in Reno and Lake Tahoe. Then I'll return to the home base, restock and restart. 













Incline Village is only 30 minutes from Reno over Mount Rose. We went over there yesterday to hike Monkey Rock Trail. It's 2.6 mile and 400 feet elevation, so it's well within my limit while on the road. The last 200 feet of elevation, however, was straight up. We could've decompressed the elevation by taking the trail around the peak but we didn't know that. In all, it took us 2 hours to complete the hike. Not particularly fast, but  we took only one break before going up and then another after coming down the steep portion. Still, it was less than a third of what I did on the Shasta expedition. Hopefully that'll prevent another prolonged PEM like Shasta aftermath.

After the charging and lunch stop, we lounged around at Sandy Harbor Beach. The water was cold enough to hurt; it won't warm up enough to swim in it till August. I took a couple of dips and then rolled around among the ants crawling in the sand. 

The fridge will arrive this week. I'll install the window covering (the heat from the sun warped the fridge the last time, so I'm covering the windows with Reflectix), reload and then off to South Yuba River next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment