Wednesday, June 16, 2021

South Yuba River Campground

The great ammo shortage of 2021 must be over. In an off-chance that I may score some, I took the gun with me and  I stopped at Bass Pro in Rocklin on the way to South Yuba River. And guess what? They had heaps of ammo. I grabbed 2 boxes and made a beeline to The Range in Grass Valley for a shooting practice.

The sound of gun going off is not a low rumble that you hear in the movie or video game. It is a firecracker going off. And it is hard not to flinch when a firecracker is going off in your hand. I'll have to fix that the next time. I did well though, for a first timer. The bullets found it's target half the time.

Boondocking was a convenient excuse for a gun. It's true that you are much safer in the wilderness than in the city. But you never know you may encounter while you are all by yourself out there. I may also camp near the city and there are lots of crazy homeless people these days. It was ultimately for the city, however. I'll eventually get a CCW and carry in the streets of SF or NYC. You don't want to get caught pants down while all these anti-Asian terrorism is going on there.

I got to Edward's Crossing in the late afternoon. It was still packed with people there, but I managed park askance under a tree and walked down to the river on the south side. Turned out, there was no place to dip in the water unless you jump off a rock. I climbed back up and drove to the campsite. I originally planned to go to Mountain Dog swimming hole, just a short hike from Edward's Crossing, but I left it for another day. I've done enough for the day already and I didn't want to push it. 

There was a couple of nice sites still available at South Yuba River Campground. But the campground was almost full and there wasn't much privacy. I figured I'd check out boondocking sites nearby and then come back if I couldn't find a suitable one. I found a workable one a few hundred yards up the dirt road and unpacked there. There supposed to be lots of boondocking sites, but I found none except this one.

Over all, a productive day. I finally scored rounds, made to South Yuba River and now all set for the next a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment