Friday, July 9, 2021

A Day off At Mammoth Lakes Camp

 When I got here, the first thing I did was to trace the sun's path. The sun is the enemy of hobos, I already told you, and I was determined to avoid it at any cost. I walked all around the campsite with a sun tracer app on my phone for about 30 minutes to find the best canopy coverage. All that work for naught; the spot I finally settled with was just about the worst place: it got full sun between 10AM till 2PM. The damn tracer app wasn't worth the bytes it occupied. No matter, I'm not moving the tent. I'll be gone in the morning tomorrow and will be back around 5PM when the tent will be in shade. I'll just have to endure the sun one more time on Sunday when I'll be at the camp recovering from the hike.

At 88F, the heat wasn't too bad though. I wasn't sweating as much as I did in South Yuba River. Then it showered in the afternoon and it got downright chilly in the rain. I stayed out and soaked it all up. Then I took the opportunity to take a bath. The sun came out a while to dry things up and then it got cloudy again. Can't ask for a better weather than that when the rest of the state is baking in a record heat. Perennially cool Yosemite went over 100F, I heard. Yikes.



Well, the temp now dipped below 70F and it's getting chilly. I think I'll turn off the light and crawl into my sleeping bag. Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment