Saturday, July 31, 2021

Monticello

 It's good to be back in civilization, if only for briefly. Blanding is a decent sized town complete with a full size grocery store, auto parts store and a diner that seems like a good place for local teens to hang out on weekends. It's the biggest town since St George 2 weeks ago. 

I got to Blanding around 12:30. Still plenty of time, I figured. I plugged in the car and crossed the street to the diner and the philly cheese stake sandwich for lunch. The crisp fries and generously portioned philly stake sandwich was enough to bring me back to life. I must've drank 3 refills of 32 ounce drink as well. Nice little retro-looking diner. You should try it if you ever have chance to pass by Blanding.

Then it was back to fridge business. I try to fix the 12v line before I left Santhrax campsite to no avail. The voltage was flaky and then went completely to zero and didn't come back. I figure the fuse finally gave up; I had to get to Blanding, access the Internet to research Tesla fuse and buy a replacement. 

It was a struggle, but I finally managed to get to the fuse box under the glove compartment and replace the fuse. I still don't know why 30A fuse blew. The fridge only draws about 4A. Unless there was a short somewhere, it's just not possible for 50W fridge to blow 30A fuse. Just in case the cigarette lighter adaptor is the culprit, I replaced it as well. Let's cross fingers and there will no no more fridge trouble in the remainder of the trip.

So now my fridge all restocked and I'm all freshened up after a bath here in Blue Mountains by Monticello. The temperature is in the 50s this evening; I had to dig up long pants and fleece jacket. A large deer the size of donkey is grazing just outside my tent. This will be my home for the next 10 days or so. I'll tackle Needles district of Canyonlands and Monument Valley from here. Then I'll commute to Moab for Islands in the Sky district, Arches National and Dead Horse State. Tesla superchargers are conveniently located both in Blanding and Moab, so I can fill up on the way back from either directions.



No comments:

Post a Comment