Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Fridge Trouble, Again

 You pay almost twice the price hoping for a better quality. Yet ICECO breaks just as fast as cheap Chinese ones. In fact, Iceco JP40 is exactly same as several Chinese ones except for the Sepco compressor they use instead of Chinese one. But 5 year warranty on the compressor is no good if something else fails. And something else fails it did.

The fuse blew not because of the cigarette lighter adapter that I installed. It blew because the fridge drew inordinate amount of current. It also blew the fuse on the Tesla's socket which is rated at 250W when it's supposed to draw 50W. When I directly connected the 12V source, the voltage dropped to 2V. All that means the fridge has a short somewhere in its 12V circuit and it is no longer working off 12V, fused or unfused.

I've been talking to ICECO since yesterday. They will ship the replacement for it, but it would normally take 10 days. I've been working them to ship it express but I haven't heard from them yet. Meanwhile, I'm staying in Escalante for 2 more days I planned because of it, hoping that the replacement fridge will arrive in that time. 

I needed more rest to recover from Coyote Gulch anyway, so all is not lost. I did a short hike to Zebra Canyon today, a rather anticlimactic one after Coyote Gulch I have to say.  I'll rest tomorrow and then do Calf Creek Falls and  move on to Capitol Reef NP as planned. Hopefully, the fridge will arrive before then. If not, I'll have to move on. Maybe I'll come back from Capitol Reef to pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment