Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Peekaboo Loop

This was supposed to be  a 5.2 miles, 1500 feet hike, according to alltrails.com.  At the half way point, however, I got chased out of the canyon by the lightning storm. The search and rescue corralled people out of the canyon through Two Bridges trail. Apparently that was the fastest way out of the canyon since they closed Wall Street. Fastest for normal people maybe. All trails to lead to the same plateau, which means shorter ones are steeper.  It would've taken about the same amount of time to come back up through the rest of Peekaboo trail. No matter. I was doing the loop in the wrong direction, so I may as well come back in 2 days and finish up the loop in the right direction and then come up via Wall Street.

So, it turned into 4 mile 1500 feet hike. And I took only a few breaks. Climbing up Two Bridges, I sat down only once near the top. In 2017, I sat down every a few switchbacks going up Wall Street. So I made a tremendous progress since then. And my legs are just fine this morning, only with a minor fatigue. I'm sure I'll be ready to go again tomorrow. 














Another heavy storm on the way back. Water gushed into the shuttle bus through the ceiling opening and the slider window. I had to get up and close them all before we all drowned. It's the monsoon season here and it's been raining as much as it does in Korea during the monsoon. The difference is that there isn't much of humidity to speak of. Things all dry up and everything is sparkly and beautiful by morning as if nothing happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment