Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Electric Hobo Season 2 Starts



Cort at HealthRising.org is supposed to publish the story of my season 1. For now you can preview it here.

The beginning of hobodom season 2 started in Fresno, the gateway to Kings Canyon. Visalia is actually closer to it by 2 miles, but it's fair that Fresno gets the claim since Visalia already lays claim to the gateway to Sequoia NP. I left home at 5AM and got to the charging station in Fresno at half past seven. Then I was at Kings River Trailhead at almost eleven, an hour behind the schedule, as usual.

There aren't too many visitors in this stretch of Kings River. Understandably so -- it's quite a way from Fresno in winding road and then you have to drive in dirt for a few miles. You need a high clearance vehicle. Unless you are a cavalier electric hobo. I had the trail all by myself all afternoon. I skinny dipped in ice water and then hung myself out on a warm rock to dry. It was therapeutic.

The hike was only 4 miles, just enough to squeeze in what's left of the day I originally planned to go as far as Garlic Falls, but the rest of the way was climb up the mountain without much view. At the end of the trail, you get to see Garlic Falls 2000 ft away. A birds eye view of the was one. All that work for that? No thanks. I was back at the trailhead which was also a campsite around 5 PM. I spent the night there in my car and then I was off to Sequoia NP

I'll spend the rest of April in Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP. Then I'll circle the Sierras via Kern River stopping at lone pine, big pine and Bishop. There will be some long hikes there including Whitney, Big pine lakes and Bishop pass. I'm not planning to backpack. Not yet they will be all day hikes. I'm still mulling on procuring backpacking gear. I'll see how well I do in this trip and then decide on adding multi day backpacking in the regiment. Chances are they will be backpacking in the season 3, if there is season 3.

The circling of the Sierras will probably take a month. After that, I may return to Sacramento and Reno to take care of a few businesses and then head to either Utah/ Colorado or Idaho/Montana. Or, both. I'll play by the ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment