Friday, April 15, 2022

Upper Yosemite Falls

The plan to get back on the road is again delayed. Kings Canyon is the first destination, and it was supposed to get snowed throughout the week. So we made a daytrip to Yosemite while waiting out the weather and the sun was out.

Eagle Tower provides just about the most spectacular view in Yosemite. You look down on the valley just above Yosemite Falls practically in a point blank distance, with the Half Dome rising behind the fall. I was as over-ambitious as ever and planned to go all the way to Eagle Tower for the total of 12 miles and 3700 feet elevation gain.




Needless to say, we didn't make it. It turned out that Upper Yosemite Fall is already 3200 feet in elevation gain. And that is over 8 miles, making the climb steeper than anything else I've done. It was another 2 miles and 1000 feet climb to tEagle Tower and we ran out of time and energy. It was past 1PM by the time we got to the fall and, at our pace, it would've taken extra 4 hours to make it to Eagle Point and back. We stayed at the fall till 3 PM and came down. It was 7PM when we got back to car.

For the next 3 days my legs and feet were so sore that I couldn't walk straight. My knee also hurt for the first time in 15 years too. Climbing down 3200 feet in 8 miles would do that to you unless your legs are in shape. 

3 days for recovery would've been normal. But I struggled for another 3 days. Which makes my recovery twice as long as it should be. So, I'm not fully recovered from CFS yet. But I'm getting close. Another season of hobodom could be all that's required. Cross fingers.


No comments:

Post a Comment