Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Broadway, Finished

The other day, I saw this beautiful palm on sale at Lowe's while walking down my final segment  of Broadway. It was 20% off from $15 regular price. I couldn't resist it. I aborted the walk, bought it and took it home on the bus.  And the apartment now looks more like home for it.

So, that's how my trekking Broadway came to an end. I've covered it from Colombia University to Union Square. And it only took a month! How pathetic is that? I could've easily cover it in a day in my healthy days -- it's only 5 miles. But walking 10 streets at a time just about takes forever.

Broadway actually starts from Battery Park. It then becomes Hwy 9 in Upper Manhattan and goes on endlessly Beyond Yonkers. It's not going to be worthwhile trekking all of it, even if I could. But I should at least trek it to Battery Park. The lower portion is especially historic since the Dutch days. But it takes over 30 minutes on subways for me to get to Union Square, so I'll leave it for another day. For now, there are other interesting Avenues to explore. Next up, Park Avenue.

Above 97th, the train track from Grand Central comes above ground on Park Avenue. And Harlem effectively begins from there, whereas you have to go above Colombia University on the West Side. I've done Harlem, so there is no point doing it again on Park Avenue. So my exploration will start from 97th. It again ends at Union Square and then splits into Broadway and 4th Avenue which becomes Bowery after a few blocks. Bowery is another historic Avenue, so I should trek it too. Eventually. Will I be able to make it before we start our journey back West? We'll see.

Here is a pic from Bethesda Fountain in the central portion of Central Park, BTW. We spent yesterday afternoon there and the cloud after the storm the day before looked particularly beautiful:






No comments:

Post a Comment