Friday, June 2, 2017

Long Island

NYC seems to go on forever. But once you are out of Queens, it is mostly a suburb. Beyond that, it's almost rural. And Oyster Bay is not that far from the edge of Queens. Neither is Jones Beach from JFK where we stopped to recharge Tesla.

We were gonna make it as far as Montauk, but I gave up after we hit the roadblock on the way to Fire Island from Jones state park. You see it in the map, but the road beyond Western Fire Island was open only to the park officials. To get to the main part of the preserve, we had to turn back, go back up and then drop down to the other side. That was too much work and it was getting past 2 PM, so we left the eastern part of the Long Island for another day. Still the traffic and navigation was a  murder and it was after 8PM once we got back and I returned the car to the garage. That we stopped in Flushing and shopped H-Mart may have something to do with it. Charging in Syosset was terribly slow too.


Jones State Park and Fire Island was part Florida Keys and part Bayou. The low land with lots of water, bridges and white sands. If it weren't for the traffic, it would be a heck of thing to have that  only 40 miles away from Manhattan. But the traffic and $17 toll took a toll on me, literally, that I don't think I will make the trip too often.

Sagamore Hill, on the other hand, wasn't much of anything. It's a historic site, it's true. I'm familiar with it; I've read two different versions of TR biography. If you remove the historic significance though, it's not a striking place to visit. Oyster Bay seems to be an affluent neighborhood though. The road up to it is dotted with mansions and estates.

And, yes, another 10,000 step day. I've already registered 53,000 steps this week and I still have one more day to go. Now I'm regularly breaching 42,000 steps that I set as the safe level. Yet, I'm not getting sick. I'll stick to 42,000 steps though, and strive to stick to it best I can. It's the 50% solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment