Monday, June 12, 2017

Shopping for a New Camera

The first thing I did this morning was to turn on the air conditioner. It's going to be a scorcher in the city today. The forecast predicts 93F and it's already over 90 at 10AM. Scaffolding, eyesores that are all over the city, are now providing welcome relief from the sun.


I seemed have recovered from a mini crash after the long walk from 86th to 100th last Friday. It's just hard to resist to keep going when you are feeling better and weather is nice. And I paid the price for it by spending most of time horizontally for the past two days.

So, I walked out of the apartment this morning to check out the Consumer Report in the library. Yeah, it's one thing or the other. Now that I'm done with the apartment search, I'm starting a search for a new camera. My 15 year old Pentax still shoots decent pictures. But it's hopelessly fuzzy when magnified compared to an average cellphone cameras these days. Since I'm on a cross country trip, I can make a good use of a better camera.  And, after a week of search, I'm settling with Panasonic GX-85. It's compact and light, yet versatile enough to shoot full length 4k video. GH4/5 is more capable video shooter, and highest rated in Consumer Report, but it's also much bulkier. I need something I can toss around all the time to shoot whenever I please. I'm just tired of getting in and out of the car with a bulky DSLR hanging on my shoulder. The only real problem with GX85 is that its jpeg pictures look washed out. But they say that shooting in RAW mode remedy that problem. So I'll take a chance with it.

Morningside Library

Every time I walk out I'm reminded that this Morningside is a real nice neighborhood. Uptown from 80s to 90s are more mainstream, it's true. But quieter Morningside has more bookshops and roadside cafes. And libraries too. It has more neighborly character. You only need to trade the distance -- it takes 25 minutes to Pen Station -- for that ambiance.

The rest of the day we spent in the shade in the conservatory garden of Central Park away from the burning concrete.






No comments:

Post a Comment