Friday, June 23, 2017

Rethinking Park Avenue

So, I plopped myself down at 96th and Park Ave yesterday. The first thing I noticed was the hill that I could've mistaken for SF if it weren't for the wide avenue.  Yes, NYC streets, its avenues in particular, are wider. That and the east-west orientation of streets let sunlight in more than SF does -- sunlight ordinance often used by SF NYMBYs to stop new developments probably is not an issue in NYC.

It's much too inconvenient to get to the UES from UWS, it turned out. All trains run north-south and moving east-west requires bus. Getting to UES is more problematic because the M4 bus has to go through perennially congested 5th Ave. So I may have to give up on the idea of trekking Park Ave in UES. I'll trek it from 60th Ave instead. It's easier to get there on 1 train and then a short ride on a bus.

Park Ave in UES was not particularly interesting place to walk through anyway. It is a bedroom community with lots of strollers, colored nannies and spiffed young moms with kids in tow. There were no shops to speak of or benches I could rest in. Bustling, dissonant Harlem was comparatively more interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment