Friday, May 28, 2021

Plan for the Next Hobodom Trial

I'm still struggling in the aftermath of the camping in Shasta. I'm now moving into the one-day-up-one-day-down phase: walk a mile, crap out the next day; walk again, crap out again. That's despite being careful to keep the walk to less than a mile and 90 steps/min with 15 minute break every half a mile. I'll have to be even more careful a while longer.

Or, I could go back on the road and see if that gets me out of the struggle. I'm taking this option and go to South Yuba River next week. It's going to hit 100F, so it's a good time to dip in the river too. Monday is Memorial Day though -- there'll be throngs in the water. I'll have to go on Tuesday to avoid the crowd. I'll stay there for 4 days like the last time and see if I can get myself out of this PEM funk.

I'm not going to do another 5 mile/2000 feet hike for sure, or even 4 mile/600 feet which is the limit while on the road. I'll just hike a mile down to the river in the afternoons, wade in it and return. The rest of the time I'll spend reading and working on my new video career, now that I have installed additional memory and VSDC on my laptop. (I wanted to go with Davinci Resolve, but the damn thing didn't work even after installing 16 additional GB.)

Yes, I got a new camera to get into more serious videography. I was waiting for a long time for Lumix G9 to go on a sale, but with the chip shortage and impending explosion of demand after covid19 hiatus, it wasn't likely. Lumix S5 happened to be on sale, however, so I jumped on it. Lumix full frame is not selling well, so they must've needed a kick only after 6 months on the market. It was hard to resist: it was tax-free from Adorama through Walmart and I got 5% back from Walmart. That was on the top of 15% discount.

The thing was big and heavy as expected. Not the camera by itself, but with 24-105mm lens, it could well be a grindstone around your neck. No way I'm taking it on long hiking trips again like I did on the Castle Crags hike. I'll just use it for videography and tootling around the town. It may eventually degenerate into an expensive paper weight, I'm afraid, and I may get another MFT camera like upcoming GH6. No idea why people obsess full frame. You are carrying all that weight and size all the time for 1% of the time that the size may be useful for. It's a terrible trade-off and I'm sticking with MFT.

No comments:

Post a Comment