Sunday, June 12, 2022

Back at Agnew Meadow via High Trail

OK, I'll take back what I said about Thousand Island Lake: it is just what I expected.


Just a new hundred yards from my campsite was a sandy beach cove. The sandy color gradually turns to turquoise as it moves to the center. I spend an hour soaking up the sun in the beach after taking a dip. The sun was intense thanks to the altitude. I was going to circle the lake. About halfway to the western end of the lake, a poop attack stopped me cold on the track and I had to get back to take care of the business.

The return path took me 9 miles along PCT. Soon after you leave Thousand Island Lake past the lake outlet, you merge into High Trail with the view of Minaret all the way back to Agnew Meadow. It essentially goes parallel to Shadow Creek trail at higher elevation, thus supplying the view of the high Sierra. So, on the way in, you follow the creek in the shade. On the way out, you get the view in sun. One of the best loop trails, if not the best, there are.

I was pooped out by the time I got to Agnew Meadow. My feet were sore, I couldn't imagine hiking another 3 miles up the road back to my car in Minaret Point. I walked for a while and then hitched. A pickup with 4 Mexicans working in the park stopped and let me squeeze into the backseat. It was a long climb and the hitch probably saved my day. On the way back I forgot to return the bear canister to the ranger station. I drove 50 miles and then returned back to Mammoth Lakes.

In all, about 28 miles in 4 days. The backpacking equipment all worked out well, I'll be taking them through Idaho and Wyoming for "Electric Hobo" season 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment