Saturday, June 4, 2022

Backpacking Plan

Things are moving fast. Original plan was to do the Electric Hobo season 2, the repeat of the car camping and hiking, and then get into backpacking next year. But now I got my backpacking gear and I'll be on the 4-day trip to Thousand Island Lake. And I'm already thinking about doing a thru-hike, as soon as next year.

Not all places are reachable by day-hike; backpack is sometimes necessary even for car campers. In fact, many "tasty" places require multi-day backpacking. To get to Reflection Canyon in Escalante, for example, requires overnight camping. 

For now though, getting there is the goal, not the backpacking itself. That means trips of a few days at the most to get to remote destination.  But I'm still planning out the gear as if I'm doing 2-person backpacking through JMT because I didn't want to get a new set of gears to do thru-hikes later on. That meant 65L pack and 2-person tent. The base weight came at 20 lbs. Add food and water, it'll be 30 lbs pack. It's not ultra-light by any means. But I'll have all the comfort in the world and I still can use it for JMT later.

So, new plan and new toys. Maybe backpacking will finally get me out of the remaining exertion hyper-sensitivity. Meanwhile, I'm still crashing after 4x1 block jogging. I get hit by the bus two hours after and get knocked out for a couple of hours. Then I get debilitated for the whole afternoon the next day. But the crashes only last hours, not days or weeks as it used to. It's an improvement. But I still have to plan so that I won't get debilitated when I have things to do. Which means jogging after 8PM so that, when the bus comes, I could just go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment