Friday, June 10, 2022

Day off at Thousand Island Lake

There is no flat land around the lake. You have to hike up the hill to be 200 feet away from the water or trail. That's a chore, especially after a long day of hiking. It's not much better when you are all puffed up and stiff in the morning. Then you dig a hole 8 inches deep, and that'll take whatever the breath remaining after the climb. If you don't have an appropriate tool, you'll have to improvise with the sharpest stone you can find. Squatting down is no easy proposition either. Your body aches from hiking and holding in that position for however long it takes to empty the cargo can be a murder. Then you hold on to tree branches do the deed and bury the deposit. Getting back up is impossible unless there are tree branches that you can grab on. Pooping in a bucket will feel like a luxury when you are done with the whole schtick of pooping in the hole on the ground.

I don't know why I'm pooping so much when my diet is devoid of any fiber. It consists of oatmeal, candy bars, instant ramen and spam. The strain of walking all day with 30-pound backpack must've been stimulating my bowel.

So, I'm all pooped and rested this morning. I'm fairly clean too: I managed to wash my head and limbs yesterday when I got to Thousand Island Lake. No mosquito problem either. It's been windy since 9AM and all mosquitos were swept away. I hope it remains breezy for the rest of the day. It's my day of rest. I'll explore around the lake in the afternoon and perhaps take a dip in the lake. The water here doesn't feel too cold, perhaps because the lake is shallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment