Friday, June 24, 2022

Tin Cup Trailhead

The first thing on my way as I drove into Stanley was the familiar looking meadows with creeks crisscrossing it.  It is familiar not because I've been here before, but because it is the picture that drew me to Stanley at the first place. How could anyone resist streams flowing through a picturesque meadow with a backdrop of snow-capped mountains? I would be the last one. I dream of streams whenever I have the most restful sleep.


It was Friday afternoon when I got to Stanley. And it was unlikely that I would find a campsite given the popularity of boondocking along Salmon River. I shuffled my plan and decided to do the Loop first. By the time I return to Stanley on Monday or Tuesday, campsites should open up. Then I'll camp out for a few days and do a few day-hikes from Iron Creek Trailhead. The change meant that I'd sleep for the night at Tin Cup trailhead where the Loop starts.

But I had to charge up the car first. I drove almost 200 miles from Boise, 60 of which was on gravel, and the car had only about 30 miles left. I pulled into Stanley RV and Basecamp, just across the meadow that Stanley creek runs amok in, paid $5. In return, they gave me 4 hours of charging time and an access to the shower. I then fixed pasta in the evening while charging. I took care of charging, shower and dinner there. What a bargain. Friendly pair named Joe and Sheryl made it a real pleasure. I'd repeat the process 5 days later when I came out of the Mountain.

The meadow along the Salmon River was another stunner.  It runs through the valley between Sawtooth Mountains and the ones that form Salmon National Forest. Animals are plentiful here. I encountered a large group of antelope-looking deer that I couldn't name at the entrance to Tin Cup Trailhead. Where there weren't wild animals, Cows were grazing.

I didn't do much in the town of Stanley. I needed groceries, but the Mountain Village Merchantile, the only grocery in town, was closed. The drove past it to the valley where the route 75 follows the Salmon River. Then I had to drive on dirt road for about 2 miles to get to the parking lot. I parked far from the trailhead where I thought I'd get the best protection from the sun, set up the car for the night, fixed dinner and went to sleep.






No comments:

Post a Comment