Friday, May 19, 2017

Upper East Side

14000 steps already under my belt for the day and I still had half a mile to go to Lexington/60th station. I again was feeling desperate like Donner party at the base of the mountain caught by the snow. We walked down to York and  tried to catch a taxi. Most were occupied and the empty ones were going over the bridge to Queens. We came back to 210 E 60th and contemplated on calling Uber. It was surge-priced at $15 to go just half a mile. at 3PM? We sat and contemplated for some more and went up to 1st Ave and hailed a taxi there. The driver took us to 69th station instead. Going to 60th station would take longer because of the congestion, he said. He must've been right. Our fare only came to be 5.50. Take that, Uber. By the time we got off the taxi my mood lifted. and so did my fatigue.

The fatigue is certainly effected by the mood. When in despair or disppointment, it worsens. When elated or excited, it lessens. What I don't know is whether it is temporary, or has some lasting effect. I am speculating that the elation allows you to exercise more, and more exercise could build up more tolerance to exercise. It's a bootstrap effect. the elation jacks up the tolerance threshold; exercise concretize and makes the new threshold permanent; The next period of elation jacks up again and so on. This trip is about finding out if that may be true. If my condition substantially improves at the end of the trip, it at least leave that  possibility open. If not, it disproves.

The far UES seemed like  a taller, noisier version of Hell's Kitchen. And as inconvenient because there is only one subway line in UES. And also looks as industrial, perhaps because of Queensboro bridge  and FDR freeway. That differs from my memory of it as an upper class residential area from my visit 10 years ago. But that was the UES near Central Park along Madison Ave and Museum row.

No comments:

Post a Comment