Friday, July 22, 2022

Brainerd, MN

I pop out of the back of my car again, drive across the street
To Casey's for the restroom and coffee.
The 6 AM morning breeze before the humidity kicks up
By the Mississippi
Feels so good, I stand in it for a while.
The seemingly nice town
Has it's secrets. Smoke shops and pleasure stores
Lining the main thoroughfare reveals it. People need
Relief from their routine; They need their drugs to feel alive.
I've got mine.
I'm on my way to Duluth.
Maybe I'll pass by William Duffy's farm
Where you realize you've been walking through life half asleep.
But the farm is 200 miles to the south and I'm wide awake.
Even the stains on the windshield tickles me.
Clouds are now gathering over meticulously groomed Brittany
Of Olson Insurance Agency by Highway 210.
I'll soon be driving in summer rain in Minnesota.
Fair weather friends and politicians at home will have to wait; I'm only
A quarter way through the circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment