Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Titcomb Basin, WY

The way out of the Teton and Jackson took me through US-191 along the Snake River, and then Hoback River. The river then veered to southwest at halfway point while the highway continued to southeast to Pinedale. In reality, the Hoback River originates in the southern half of the Teton Range, loops northward and then joins Snake River that flows west to Idaho. I was following the river upstream on US-191.

Pinedale was Stanley of Wyoming. It was not as scenic and no river ran through it. But it was the gateway town to Wind River Range as Stanley was to Sawtooth Mountains. The first thing that greeted me as I drove into it was a ranch set against the mountains just like Stanley.

It was too early for dinner when I got to Wind River Brewing Company where the Tesla charger was located. I wasn't going to eat there anyway. I saw Subway on the way and I was going to buy a foot long sub so that I could have the half of it for lunch the next day. I plugged the car, climbed into the back of my car and researched Wind River Range. Then I drove back to Subway, bought a Black Forest ham sandwich on flat bread and then was on my way to Elkhart Park, the trailhead to Seneca Lake. There were some spectacular views of Fremont Lake and The Wyoming sky along the way and the final vista point presented a full view of the Wind River Range. 

The only plan I had for Wind River Range was Cirque of Towers to the south of Pinedale. But I figured I should do another one while I was in the middle of Wind River Range. The search turned up Seneca Lake as the best hike in Pinedale. Titcomb Basin was on the list too, but it was too far. So, I decided on Seneca Lake, plus a shorter Sacred Rim trail.

I got to the trailhead parking lot and stopped at the visitor center, a small hut further up from the lot. Barbara, the old lady manning the hut, told me that Titcomb Basin past Seneca Lake is what people usually go for. But you need to be prepared for the snow, she said. I didn't know that Titcomb Basin was in the same direction as Seneca Lake. I figured I'll make it to Seneca Lake first and then decide. 

Camp by Seneca Lake

The trail to Seneca Lake wasn't all that exciting, at least till you get to the roaring creek about 2 miles south of it. It was rather claustrophobic, and mosquito infested.  Seneca Lake itself was nice, but nothing stunning. I've seen too many lakes by now to be impressed. I skirted the west side of the lake and found a campsite at the north end of the lake. After pitching the tent, I climbed down 40 feet to the water for bathing and got eaten alive by mosquitos. 5 miles further up was Titcomb Basin.

Titcomb Basin

Next day, I decided to make a daytrip to Titcomb basin. Barbara warned me about getting lost, but all I had to do was to follow the Indian Pass Trail to Island Lake and then switch to Titcomb Basin Trail all the way. She also warned me about creek crossing, but there hardly was any, certainly nothing like the Alice Lake Loop in the Sawtooth Mountains. It was instead galore of ethereal views, first Island Lake and then cascading lakes of Titcomb basin. Absolutely stunning even for someone who is used to alpine lakes all over the Sierra and Colorado.

The day after, I packed out and came back to Pinedale where I spent night at Baymont Hotel. I needed to clean up, rest and prepare for Cirque of Towers, the next destination.


No comments:

Post a Comment