Thursday, July 14, 2022

Shadow Lake

The mosquitos are murders. You stop for 30 seconds to take a picture, you get bitten a dozen times. And that's with 40% DEET and head net; you'd be devoured alive without them. The mountains of Wyoming is swell, but I don't think I'll ever hike it again. 

At least the campsite is decent here.  I'm camped on the north side of Shadow Lake near the outlet, under the shade of trees on a level ground above the lake. It took me a little over 6 hours to get here. Not bad for 11 miles. I would've taken more time, but there was no place to escape mosquitos to rest. So I kept walking stopping only for the lunch break at 10:30 by the first lake. I left snacks in the bear canister, and I wasn't going to dig them out. But my Subway lunch was at the top of the pack, so I decided to have early lunch instead.

I braved the mosquitos, went down to the stream near the inlet and bathed. Now I'm no longer sticky. And the air is breezy and pleasant. I'm staying in tent for the rest of the evening, other than to brush teeth and pee.

The trailhead parking lot was almost full when I arrived yesterday evening. Yet I didn't see too many people on the trail. I guess they are spread out on the 25-mile trail. I slept at the trailhead and started out at 8AM. It wasn't unlike the trail to Seneca Lake: unremarkable till past Mam's Lake. Then the soaring peaks appeared and that made braving the mosquitos worthwhile. And Shadow Lake is right underneath the soaring cliffs.  I'm expecting even better view on Texas and Jackass Pass tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment