Sunday, July 17, 2022

Cirque of Towers


And to think that mosquitos could have chased me out of the mountains. I was going to hike back out to the trailhead, one day early -- the bugs at Shadow Lake were so bad, I couldn't stand another day. I've seen many lakes like it, and it wasn't worth enduring the mosquito swarm. Then I came over Texas Pass and saw the towers soaring above the basin between the two passes. I had to stop for one more night.

I pitched the tent just below Texas Pass away from the trail with full view of the towers and cliffs from inside my tent. It was possibly the best view site ever. People don't camp there; they usually camp at Shadow Lake, about 10 miles in from the trailhead, and then near Big Sandy Lake, another 10 miles from Shadow Lake. Texas Pass is only a couple of miles from Shadow Lake; it is too short a hike to call it a day. Me, I was going to hike from Shadow Lake all the way back to the trailhead, so stopping at Texas Pass shortened the hike I had to do the next day. 

I went over the ridge to the left after pitching the tent. Lo and behold, there was a snow-covered emerald lake below the ridge. From there it went down the valley for miles with more lakes. I could've day-hiked and explored the valley. But black cloud was coming over the towers and rain drops started to fall. Next time I'll skip Shadow Lake and just camp here, and then explore the valley. 

I came back and took bath in ice water and cold rain. Soon the rain turned into thunder shower. I went into tent and shivered in my sleeping back for 30 minutes and then woke up to the sound of babbling brook next to my tent. 

This is what I thrive in: solitude in nature. I had a similar feeling in Escalante, and now I had the Cirque of Towers all by myself. One was vast desert and the other in towering mountains. What's like to live in the mountains alone, not just for a day, but day after day? I'd like to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment